Can I claim for vitamins?
If you hold an eligible extras cover and have served the two month waiting period, you may be able to claim a benefit towards the cost of vitamins and minerals. Your Policy Summary will provide detailed information on your level of benefit and any limits that apply.
What is covered?
Vitamins and minerals are claimable under the 'Health Management' benefit on your extras policy, provided they meet the following criteria:
- Listed with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
- Item/product must contain any vitamin A-K or iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium or zinc as an active ingredient on the TGA.
- Vitamins/minerals must be administered orally or intravenously.
- Must be intended to aid in a specific vitamin or mineral dietary deficiency.
The following vitamins and minerals are approved by Westfund under the Vitamin benefit:
- Vitamin A (retinyl, retinol)
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide, nicotinic acid, nicotinamide, nicoscorbine)
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid, dexpanthenol)
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal)
- Vitamin B7 (biotin, vitamin h)
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid, folate)
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, mecobalamin)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Vitamin D (calcitriol, calcipotriol)
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol)
- Vitamin D3 (colecalciferol, cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (tocopheryl)
- Vitamin K (menadione, acetomenaphthone, phytomenadione, menaquinone)
- Iron (ferric, ferrous)
What isn't covered?
There are certain vitamin and mineral products that Westfund is unable to pay a benefit for. These include:
- Vitamin/mineral products purchased outside of Australia, either in person or online. This means that the business won't have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Bodybuilding, weight loss or meal replacement products.
- Any consumable food or drink product containing vitamins and minerals.
- Any compounded items/products made by a compound pharmacy; however you may be eligible under your pharmacy benefit.
- Any items/products that have been subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
- Any items/products that do not aid in a specific vitamin or mineral dietary deficiency.
- Any items/products that are a S4 or S8 item (prescription-only medicine or controlled drug). However, you may be eligible under your pharmacy benefit.
- Reflux medications
- CO-Enzyme Q10
- Cold and flu tablets
- Vitamin or mineral infused water
- Collagen tablets/gummies
- Detox or cleanse tablets
- Rehydration products
How can I make my claim?
The easiest and quickest way to make your claim is via the Westfund app. However, we provide several other options (online, by mail or email) to submit your claim so you can select the way that suits you best.
Please ensure you include your receipt/s when lodging your claim.